Tuesday, March 10, 2009

geeky girl offers NPR vocalizing tips

Stephanie Chasteen, a physicist and science educator who worked at National Public Radio in a crossover journalism internship for scientists, offers insights on vocalizing, based on her behind-the-scenes experience, in "The Voices in Your Head, or How NPR Reporters Do Their Voicing." She offers useful tips on everything from analyzing how you sound to how to write out your script to include emphasis and inflection. My take: These are especially useful for speakers who are being recorded, interviewed on-air, or podcasting, but there's plenty here to help the ears of your audience in a standard speech. Chasteen's internship was forged by my client (and former employer) the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Special thanks to Andy Carvin, NPR's social media guru, for sharing her post on Twitter!


Stephanie Chasteen said...

Thanks for linking to my post, Denise! I hadn't thought of using those techniques in standard speech, though I think that I do anyway, by force of habit.

Just today, me and my fellow podcaster used the trick of sitting across from each other and nodding as we spoke. My own post reminded me that we should be doing this, and we hadn't been doing so. What a difference! Our voices became lively and engaged.

Denise Graveline said...

I often advise my trainees to stand up when they're doing a phone interview or important phone calls, just because their voices sound much more lively and engaged. Try that, too! And, as I've reported elsewhere on the blog, gesturing helps you avoid verbal slips and stumbles and may even help you think better while you're speaking. Thanks again for your informative post, Stephanie!