Wednesday, August 26, 2009

survival tips for watching yourself on video

Olivia Mitchell of the very good Speaking About Presenting blog offers these tips for surviving watching yourself on video--because it's one of the best ways to learn about yourself as a speaker or presenter. You don't want to aim for the polished performance of the news anchor pictured here! No matter how cringe-worthy you think your results will be, Mitchell offers help with distancing yourself and -- most important -- taking a benevolent view of your efforts. (Our contest winner Stephanie Benoit will find these tips of use shortly, as she begins posting video here for her 15 weeks of coaching.)
My tip: If you're nervous before an audience, this is the perfect way to test yourself without them, although many people find the red "recording" light just as intimidating. And the more you practice this, the more you'll relax and see the value in the results. Experienced broadcasters focus on that red light as if it were their best friend, instead of running from it. Why not you? Try making a short video and see how you do!

1 comment:

Kate Perrin, PRofessional Solutions LLC said...

This was the perfect time for me to read Olivia's tips -- especially the one about waving your hands. I just got to see video of myself speaking at the PRSA and IABC programs. While I previously thought I was too wooden on the video I thought I looked like a flapping bird! But she is right -- I've been reassured that in person the gestures did not seem out of proportion.