Friday, December 11, 2009

My hat's off to these bloggers

I'm always excited when other bloggers share posts from The Eloquent Woman--but I'm remiss in thanking many recent posters. Here, as a bit of payback, is more information about these bloggers who cover similar topics--so you can enjoy exploring them:

  • Kate Peters writes Kate's Voice, a great blog on using your voice optimally. In a recent post on taking charge of your vocal image, she says, "I really enjoy reading “The Eloquent Woman,” a blog for women on public speaking. The author, Denise Graveline, often discusses gender differences in communication from a speaker’s perspective. Check it out!" Thanks, Kate--I know my readers will enjoy your blog.
  • Mike Schultz's Brinker Toastmasters blog picked up on my "fix-3" approach to analyzing and fixing 3 priorities in your public speaking, noted it's a way for Toastmasters to expand their feedback: "In her valuable post Denise Graveline suggests that “most speakers don’t take the time for this type of self-analysis,” and from experience I can say a big amen to that. Here’s a valuable way to add your own analysis to the advice you get from evaluators." He also blogged about something I agree with: Success in speaking is not for extroverts alone, citing an article we both like. I always value Mike's feedback to this blog.
  • Michael Erard, author of the book Um. . .: Slips, Stumbles, and Verbal Blunders, and What They Mean was nice enough to feature our interview with him on his website for the book, saying, "Denise Graveline and writer Becky Ham asked me some really great questions." We think he gave great answers, the interview here.
  • George Page's AccuConference blog elaborated on how to regain the audience's attention if you're losing it, building on my post that answered a workshop participant's question.
  • Kathy Hansen's blog, A Storied Career, thinks all conferences should be storied, noting, "As blogger Denise Graveline points out, the well-known TED (technology, entertainment, design) conference also emphasizes storytelling ....Wouldn’t it be great if all conferences were storied and all presenters storytellers?" Look to her blog for all things storytelling.
  • Diana Schneidman's Stand Up 8 Times blog mused on the Danah Boyd experience with the Twitter backchannel--and wasn't sure she liked it. Neither did Bitchitorial. Thanks for including me in your sources, ladies. I also owe Joe Bonner, a regular source for my blogs, credit for flagging that event and Danah's own post about it.
  • Richard Garber's Joyful Public Speaking shared a thorough post on introductions that included my "take 5" tips for introducing speakers. Richard is the Vice President-Education for Capitol Club Toastmasters in Boise, Idaho. Thanks!
  • Lee Potts, author of the Breaking Murphy's Law blog for presenters on rising above what can go wrong, bookmarked my "sussing out your speaker space" item on his website. Thanks, Lee!


Mike S said...

Thanks for the mention. I've learned a lot from you and appreciate all the great paths you've pointed me towards.

mike schultz

Kathy said...

Thanks so much for the shoutout, Denise!