Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Readers' tips for newbie speakers, with resources

One of the best thing you can do as a newbie in public speaking is to get advice from more seasoned speakers. To get you started, I've asked readers of The Eloquent Woman on Facebook to share their top advice for new speakers or presenters--and I've added links to resources that will help you act on their wisdom. Here's what they advise:

If you've got advice for newbie speakers, please feel free to leave it in the comments--we'll all benefit from the wisdom of this crowd!

Clip to Evernote
Use the Evernote clip button, above, to save this post in an Evernote notebook. Go here to subscribe to Step Up Your Speaking, my free email newsletter that looks at a different speaking topic in depth each month...then become a fan of The Eloquent Woman on Facebook and join the conversation with thousands of other women (and men) about public speaking skills and confidence.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Great resources. Thank you for posting. I do quite a lot of public speaking and I've never received training. Your blog has helped me to think about ways to improve my public speaking skills. Recently, I was asked to give a speech about my work. I normally facilitate workshops, so I wasn't used to giving a 15-20 minute talk. Afterwards, an older gentleman approached me and told me to take a speech class. He said during my speech I was speaking 4 notes above my normal voice. When he heard me speaking to people after the speech, he said my voice was very different from the voice I used during the speech. He told me to speak from my diaphragm rather than the back of my throat. At first, I was offended, but then I realized this was a very helpful comment. Do you think I should take a class or are there resources that you know of that help people practice these skills? Since I am a young woman (late 20s), I am sensitive to the fact my youth often makes it difficult to connect with an audience. I want to try my best to work on this challenge....I appreciate any advice.

Denise Graveline said...

Holly, I'm glad you're focused on improving your speaking--it's a skill you can use throughout your career.

I always think training is useful, particularly if you have something specific on which to focus. Feel free to email me at info[at]dontgetcaught[dot]biz for ideas about training.

In the meantime, check out this post about establishing your credibility when your age is working against you: http://eloquentwoman.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-do-i-establish-credibility-as.html

And to figure out the right range for your voice, check out these tips from a vocal coach--and note that you can damage your voice if you're pitching it too low or too high: http://eloquentwoman.blogspot.com/2011/01/womens-voices-are-you-speaking-too-low.html

Let us know your progress. I'm glad the blog has been helpful to you and look forward to helping you find a good training solution!

Holly Hight said...

Thanks, Denise. I'll check out these resources and send you a email soon. I appreciate your feedback.