Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Eloquent Woman's top 10 public speaking posts for 2013

It's almost the end of 2013, another record-setting year for readership on The Eloquent Woman--and these are the posts that got us there. From organizing conferences with more women speakers and using speech video more effectively to chairing conferences, it's always an interesting mix. Take a look at the most-read posts from the blog this year:
  1. Chairing a conference: How did I do? Lessons for chairs from #esnbxl answered a reader's request for me to assess how I did as chair of an international speechwriters' conference. Thanks for learning along with me to make this 2013's most-read post.
  2. Follow @NoWomenSpeakers to track conferences with few or no women on the program announced a new Twitter account, where I track in retweets the mentions on Twitter of conferences and events where there's a gender imbalance in the speaker lineup. It's a robust conversation--follow @NoWomenSpeakers and join in.
  3. Would conference child care help more women attend? When people start discussing how to get more women on the program, offering child care is a common suggestion. Here's a look at one international group that tried it--with mixed results.
  4. Instead of wincing, 10 things to look for on that video of your speech is the checklist I give all the speakers in my coaching sessions and training workshops, including the speakers I coach at TEDMED. You can use it, too.
  5. When you're tempted to turn down a speaking gig: For women was my effort to ask women to be sure they're not the reason we don't see them on conference programs. I don't think women turning down speaking gigs is the only or even the primary reason. I just don't want it to be a major reason.
  6. The Lady Vanishes: My International Speechwriters Conference keynote follows my own dictum to publish your speeches. This keynote is shared as prepared, with links to the references I mentioned.
  7. London notebook: Lessons from speakers and speechwriters at #ESN2013 shared what I learned at that conference when I wasn't speaking. This lively, smart group left me full of ideas and inspiration.
  8. 12 ways to diversify conferences with @NoWomenSpeakers collects the many case studies, data and approaches I've found for planning conferences with a better proportion of women speakers. Please, share it with a program committee or organizer.
  9. 9 things to check if you're speaking from a text is one of this year's most popular checklists. If you think a text is the answer to trouble-free speaking, make sure you've consulted this first.
  10. 9 things to do with the video of your TED, TEDMED or TEDx talk was written because I see too many speakers give these high-profile talks...then ignore that precious video. I'm glad to see it on the most-read list for the year.
As always, thanks for reading The Eloquent Woman this year!

If you found this post useful, please subscribe or make a one-time donation to help support the thousands of hours that go into researching and curating this content for you. 

No comments: