- Schooling you on Churchill: "We shall fight on the beaches" is Churchill's most-quoted speech. But you're probably doing it wrong. Here are three things you didn't know about his best-known speech, from rhetoric historian Richard Toye, author of the recently released The Roar of the Lion: The Untold Story of Churchill's World War II Speeches.
- Your new standard: Not sure what to aim for when you speak? How about these 7 ways to give presentations that people actually care about.
- Practice makes...: A speaker at the Growth Hacker Conference thoroughly shares his process for how to prepare a great presentation.
- She said it: I'm a big fan of quoting women in your speeches, and here's a roundup of 30 inspirational quotes from highly successful women for you to use.
- Another shrinking stage for women: TED announced its 2014 lineup of speakers, and it includes a low proportion of women speakers.
- About the quote: Inspiration--perhaps for speaking up at the office?--from our board of great quotes for public speakers on Pinterest.
- Coming up this week on the blog, we'll examine a famous speech about that quality so elusive to many speakers, vulnerability. It's the fourth-most-watched TED talk of all time.
Monday, February 3, 2014
Fans of The Eloquent Woman on Facebook see links to good reads, resources and ideas from other sources there, in addition to posts from the blog. But you won't miss a thing, since I'm summarizing that extra content and putting it here on the blog for all readers to see. Here's what I shared in the week just past: