- Workshop deadline: Friday, Feb. 21 at midnight ET is the deadline to register for my new workshop on women and public speaking. Be The Eloquent Woman in Washington, DC, on Feb. 28. The day-long workshop will help you build confidence and competence as a speaker, and help you subvert the expectations that many women face when they speak. There's also information at the link about a companion session taking place in Oxford, UK, on 2 April. Please join me for these unique professional development sessions!
- Rock that speech: Rocker Karen O, the frontwoman for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, is prepping for a possible Oscar acceptance speech for best original song.
- No taking sides: You can't blame speaking issues on your left or your right brain--both sides of your brain are involved in speaking, another sign of how complex public speaking really is.
- Make the connection: Here are 7 killer ways to connect with your audience.
- Start 'em young: A new phenomenon, TED-Ed Clubs are for young people who want to learn how to give a TED talk. Be sure to share this with young women and girls!
- This week on the blog we'll hear from a PR executive and book author about introverts and public speaking, and from an Oscar-winning actress who gives outstanding tributes and intros.
- About the quote: Oh, that Margaret Edson, having some fun in a stunning extemporaneously delivered commencement address. Find more quotes like this on our Pinterest board of great quotes by eloquent women.
- Oh, snap: In the U.S., today is the Presidents Day holiday, honoring all the women who've been elected president. We can dream, can't we? In the meantime, read our famous speeches by women who ran for president of the United States: Victoria Woodhull, Shirley Chisholm, and Hillary Clinton.
Monday, February 17, 2014
Fans of The Eloquent Woman on Facebook see links to good reads, resources and ideas from other sources there, in addition to posts from the blog. But you won't miss a thing, since I'm summarizing that extra content and putting it here on the blog for all readers to see. Here's what I shared in the week just past:
Posted by Denise Graveline at Monday, February 17, 2014