Wednesday, July 23, 2014

'Be The Eloquent Woman' at my October speaking workshop in Amsterdam

I'll be leading Be The Eloquent Woman, my day-long workshop on women and public speaking, as a pre-conference session at the European Speechwriter Network's autumn speechwriters and business communicators conference in Amsterdam on 23 October.

The day-long workshop is designed to help women executives and politicians to improve their public speaking, using smart strategies that build on the information you get right here on the blog. You'll learn about the research as well as the realities that women face--the perceptions that stand in the way of your success and undermine your confidence--along with the practical advice that will help you subvert those expectations and succeed as a speaker. Our focus is helping you build confidence, content and credibility as a woman speaker.

Participants will learn:  
  • Techniques for overcoming fear of big occasions 
  • How to structure a talk
  • Strategies for speaking with or without notes
  • Advantages women bring to public speaking and how to bring them to the fore
  • Lessons from outstanding women speakers
  • Putting together a "message wardrobe" to be prepared for any speaking situation
  • How to get more speaking opportunities and make the most of them
  • What conference organizers are looking for in speakers, and what's preventing women from achieving parity on conference podiums
  • How women speakers are perceived, in public settings and in the workplace, and how you can subvert expectations
Previous participants in this workshop include executives and leaders from companies like Google, Clifford Chance, Little Brown Publishing, and Procter & Gamble; from government agencies such as the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Department of the Interior, and U.S. congressional staff; and from nonprofits, universities, medical practices and research labs. The workshop is conducted in English, and has included participants from France, Great Britain, Greece, Ireland, Panama, Switzerland, and the United States. Here's what they have to say about the workshop experience:
  • "Loved the discussion and doing the exercises on my speaking style. This allowed me to think about aspects of my work I hadn't thought about before."
  • "[Most valuable were] the practical tips on introductions, negotiating fight/flight, the structure of presentations, how to be assertive when someone talks over you or is age/sexist."
  • "The information has given me a renewed enthusiasm for my next talk. I'm feeling back in the driver's seat."
  • "[Most valuable were] the message wardrobe--particularly prepping Q&A and focusing on the questions that you want before the questions that you fear. Also the fountain of information, from historical references to contemporary events and examples from Denise's clients, research and experience."
  • "My talks were extremely well received, something which I attribute significantly to Denise’s help. In the workshop, I defined what eloquent meant to me as “poised”, which is exactly the word a conference organiser used to describe me on stage. I recommend Denise wholeheartedly to all the people I meet who are nervous about getting up on stage."
Be The Eloquent Woman will be offered in Amsterdam on 23 October as a pre-conference workshop at the Autumn Speechwriters and Business Communicators Conference of the European Speechwriter Network, which takes place 24 October. Click on the links to find out more about this unique professional development opportunity, and see the latest on speakers recently added to the program here. I'm especially happy that my client and friend Marcus Webb, chief storytelling officer for TEDMED, will keynote the conference--you may recall his interview for our Inside Voice series. You may register for the workshop, the conference, or both. You'll get a significant early bird discount if you register by 15 August. 

I hope you can join me for this unusual professional development opportunity--and that you'll also share this information with women you know who might benefit from it.

No comments: