Wednesday, November 5, 2014

15 ways I use @evernote for public speaking & coaching speakers

If you read my other blog, don't get caught, on social media and communications, you already know I'm a big fan of using the note-taking program Evernote for business travel, blogging and more. It's also a secret weapon in my coaching of speakers and public speaking workshops, as well as my own public speaking. Here are 15 ways I'm using Evernote for public speaking and coaching speakers:
  1. Special shared notebooks for my coaching clients and my blog: One of my favorite features of Evernote is the ability to create a notebook, fill it with material and share it with my coaching clients. I can publish the notebook and share an Evernote-generated URL so many can have access, or just share it privately with a collaborator. I also share a "Famous Speech Friday" notebook with one of my writers. We both contribute notes to it, and they're accessible to either of us when we're writing those posts. I also collect notes on topics my coaching clients care about--such as resources for introverts--and share those notebooks with clients as a bonus resource.
  2. Recordings of coaching sessions on Skype: When I coach speakers via Skype, an Evernote-compatible app called Callnote can record audio, video or both, and automatically sends the file to Evernote, which can take notes in any format: photo, video, audio, text.
  3. Practice video storage: The same is true when clients record their practice sessions and share them with me in other ways: They all wind up in Evernote, where I can find them easily.
  4. Audio practice: My clients and I use Evernote to read aloud from a text and record it on an audio file. If you create an audio file in this way, you can play it over and over to practice and help you memorize. I did this in London last week, listening to my talk while roaming the city. It works!
  5. Script- and speechwriting: Evernote doesn't just hold text notes, but also is a robust word processor in its own right. I write speeches right in this app, and am easily able to cut and paste from source notes; Evernote's history feature lets me see previous versions, too.
  6. Research for speeches: Whether I'm writing the speech for me or for my clients, I use Evernote's web clipper extension to grab and save articles and other source material that may be useful. I have more than 21,000 notes so far (a number that goes up every day). Using Powerbot for Gmail, or using the unique Evernote email address I was issued, I can send emails and attachments right into Evernote, and I've set up IFTTT (If This, Then That), an automation tool, to auto-send any Gmail I receive with an attachment right into Evernote. Those steps cover all my bases.
  7. Planning for chairing or moderating: If I'm chairing a conference or moderating a panel, it gets its own notebook, in which I put bios of the speakers, information from the organizer, and my own notes and script.
  8. Workshop logistics: I do custom workshops for clients and offer public workshops for which anyone may register. For each one, I keep my scripts; catering menus; logistics information; floor plans, photos and measurements for meeting rooms; hotel and conference center info; registration lists; handouts; and more. 
  9. Photo storage: When I take photos with my phone--say, of a workshop whiteboard with participant inputs, or the team I've just trained--they go into Evernote, either automatically when I use the Evernote mobile app to take the photo, or through my phone's sharing options. The handwritten text is searchable within Evernote, so I can always find what I need.
  10. Receipts and invoicing: Every client has its own notebook, with receipts and invoices among the notes I keep. Using my Doxie scanner, any receipts I scan can be saved to Evernote directly, then emailed from Evernote to submit my expense reports. Evernote includes a spreadsheet function that's great for this purpose.
  11. Location details: If I'm traveling to do a training workshop or coaching session, all my travel info goes into Evernote, from reservations and maps to destination details and transportation info.
  12. Blog post ideas and research: No two ways about it: My blog notebooks are my largest Evernote notebooks. I use the premium pilot version of Feedly to manage my feeds, and it lets me save articles right to Evernote, but I also clip from the web and email fodder for blog posts into Evernote, too. Haven't run out of ideas yet.
  13. Client files: In addition to receipts and invoices, I use Evernote to manage my client relationships, keeping notes on their wishlists and goals; their referrals to others; what we've already covered in coaching; practice sessions; assignments for improvement; and more. 
  14. Audience contacts: I use Evernote premium because it comes with even more storage and robust search capabilities. One of the great features of Evernote lets me take a photo of an audience member wearing her nametag, save it to Evernote, and find it again searching only for the text on her nametag. That way, even if I don't remember her name, I can search by the name of the conference. Genius!
  15. Saving links from Twitter: I've set up IFTTT so that, when I star or favorite a tweet, it gets stored in Evernote. I find lots of useful info on Twitter, from prospective clients to articles and sources.
I've written here about the public speaking book I'm writing in Evernote at present. Want to try Evernote? Use my link and when you sign up for a free account, you'll get a free month of Premium storage.

(Photo courtesy of the International Speechwriters Conference)

No comments: