- Are you in um territory? A new map of the U.S. shows whether you live in "um" or "uh" territory.
- Rhetorical reminder: If you're not a speechwriting pro, you might think writing a speech is like writing an essay. Harvard Business Review reminds you it's not.
- Self-talk reminder: Seth Godin shares another good reminder for speakers: Forgive yourself and keep trying.
- Father-daughter speaking: My speaker coach colleague Alan Barker writes about the speechwriting conference we attended in Amsterdam, while his daughter Imogen Barker writes about attending my 'Be The Eloquent Woman' workshop at the same meeting in this joint post. Her feedback? "The only thing that would have bettered the training session would have been to make it longer! We had a full day, but we only scratched the surface. And we all left more knowledgable, informed and empowered."
- Vote for this: If you voted in the American elections last week, the way was paved by Susan B. Anthony, who cast a defiant and illegal vote as a woman in 1872. Read our Famous Speech Friday post on the speech she used to make her case, "Is it a crime for a U.S. citizen to vote?"
- About the quote: Kerry Washington puts her finger on why women turn down speaking opportunities. From our Pinterest board of great quotes by eloquent women.
Monday, November 10, 2014
Fans of The Eloquent Woman on Facebook see links to good reads, resources and ideas from other sources there, in addition to posts from the blog. But you won't miss a thing, since I'm summarizing that extra content and putting it here on the blog for all readers to see. Here's what I shared in the week just past: