Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Eloquent Woman's top 10 public speaking posts for 2014

Practical advice and experiences about public speaking are a mainstay of The Eloquent Woman. Our midweek posts focus squarely on the practical, and the most-read posts about public speaking advice in 2014 share what's on your mind: Slides and presentations, harrassment of women speakers, women's rhetorical style, nerves and public speaking, tools for speakers and the lack of women on conference programs are this year's top topics and tips. You'll see a separate list of our most popular Famous Speech Friday posts for 2014 on Friday.

I'm interested that first-person accounts from speakers I've worked with have a strong lead in this list. The good news? I'm planning more of that in 2015. Here's what you read most in 2014:
  1. Talk About the Talk: Caroline Goyder on confident speaking at TEDxBrixton shares the first-person perspective of a speaker I worked with this year. Goyder shares her prep and delivery insights, and as a bonus, her talk is about confident speaking and using your voice well. The video of her talk has had thousands of views since this post appeared, and it's embedded at the link for you to see.
  2. A reader shares...Returning to the stage after harrassment is the first of three guest posts in the top 10 by ex-Google software engineer Cate Huston, a longtime blog reader who planned her return to speaking after harrassment by taking two of my workshops and working with me 1:1. 
  3. 15 ways I use Evernote for public speaking and coaching speakers shares what might just be my best secret weapon as a coach and as a speaker, it's so darn versatile.
  4. Why "but all my slides are pictures" isn't a smart public speaking strategy pokes a hole in an argument I hear over and over again from speakers who are using slides not wisely, but too well.
  5. Presenting gives me nightmares, but I still do it. Here's how. This post from Huston looks at speaking nerves and how she prepares, a useful look from a now-frequent speaker.
  6. From NASCAR slides to "any questions?" 8 kinds of slides to delete right now. Here's my advice for editing that slide deck. You don't have to like it. You just have to do it.
  7. 12 ways to evaluate speaking gigs for gender bias is my effort to help women speakers consider whether they should say "yes" when invited. We need more women speakers on programs, but not at any cost to the women speakers.
  8. How to give a killer presentation: My #AF4Q notes shares advice I gave to the lively gang of health care community coalitions at their annual meeting. In the picture above, we're all power posing as a confidence boost.
  9. Returning to the stage, part 2: Speaking to dudes about love details Huston's second step forward in her effort to get back to speaking. And to update her story, she's now frequently invited as a speaker and is getting paid for some gigs--real progress for someone who'd taken a hiatus from speaking.
  10. How TEDMED achieved 51 percent women speakers in 2014 is my interview with my client, TEDMED director of stage content Nassim Assefi. All of us working at TEDMED this year were struck by the presence of so many great women speakers in science and medicine, and Assefi shares her perspective on what it takes to do that.
If you found this post useful, please subscribe or make a one-time donation to help support the thousands of hours that go into researching and curating this content for you. 

No comments: