- Dress blues: It's not about you: When men take women's style personally is a smart look at why appearance and dress are double-edged swords for women--and that goes double for women speakers. This was far and away the most-viewed post on The Eloquent Woman on Facebook last week.
- Speaking up gets you interrupted: Here's a good summary of the research on what happens when women speak up in meetings and what needs to happen for that to change.
- Zen Eleanor: Zen Pencils did a cartoon version of Eleanor Roosevelt's inspiring words on courage being more exhilarating than fear. I love that the cartoon features a woman comic getting her nerve up to perform on stage.
- Did you miss....? Last week, I shared an interesting project that took up much of autumn 2014 for me: Coaching a cadre of conference speakers to give TED-quality talks. I coached 16 people in a group and 1:1 to give five-minute talks--now available on video. Our Famous Speech Friday looked at 12 famous speeches by women on disability. On our sister blog at dontgetcaught.biz, I looked at 5 things transcripts will do for your social media presence, several of which apply to public speakers.
- About the quote: Brene Brown's TEDxHouston talk on vulnerability shared insights from her own breakdown of vulnerability. Read our Famous Speech Friday post on this, one of the most-watched TED talks of all time.
Monday, January 19, 2015
Fans of The Eloquent Woman on Facebook see links to good reads, resources and ideas from other sources there, in addition to posts from the blog. But you won't miss a thing, since I'm summarizing that extra content and putting it here on the blog for all readers to see. Here's what I shared in the week just past:
Come to my pre-conference workshop at the Spring Speechwriters and Business Communicators Conference in Cambridge, UK, this April. What goes into a TED-quality talk will help speakers, speechwriters and conference organizers understand how to craft and deliver a talk in the style of TED, whether you're getting ready for a TEDx conference or just a presentation in this popular style. Go to this link for more details on what's included, as well as a significant discount for readers of The Eloquent Woman. The workshop is on 15 April, and the conference is 16-17 April. Please join me!