- Afghan women get a vocal boost: A new women's university is planned in Afghanistan, a real boost to helping women speak up in a region where the Taliban discourages educating women.
- Agreeing to disagree: "...before you get together, agree on some ground rules. My Tea Party lunchmate and I came up with these: don't persuade, defend or interrupt. Be curious; be conversational; be real. And listen." Great advice in this TED talk for eloquent women on talking to someone with whom you disagree.
- Strong women + storytelling = our wheelhouse: Yesterday, March 20, was World Storytelling Day and the theme was stories of strong women. The American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress collected some of them here.
- Did you miss? This week, the blog looked at Smart self-promotion: 5 must-haves on your speaker page, and Famous Speech Friday shared an example of Hillary Clinton answering a loaded question in a Congressional hearing during her term as Secretary of State. The Moderating Panels blog shared 3 things moderators wish conference organizers knew about better panels.
- About the quote: The great novelist Ursula K. LeGuin reminds us of the power of storytelling. Find more quotes like this one on our Pinterest board of great quotes by eloquent women.
Monday, March 21, 2016
If you want to keep up with my wide-ranging reading list about women and speaking in real time, follow The Eloquent Woman on Facebook where these links are posted all week long--or just head here on Mondays, where I summarize them all for you. Either way, you'll be expanding your understanding of women and speaking: